Monday, January 18, 2010

First Trade - TBT

I have been watching bonds trade for some time.  In case you did not know, bonds and interest rates share an inverse relationship.  Over time, as bonds decrease in value, interest rates rise and visa versa.  

This is a chart on the $IRX, or the 13 week treasury yields.  


Now, just tell me, would you say there is more risk rates will go up, or go down?  (please don't say down)

There is a 20 year bond ETF called TLT.  You can see it is trading into a nice downward sloping channel.


Looking at this chart, I would have probably just preferred to wait till it reaches the upper end of the channel, but when you look at the 30 year T-Bill futures chart, it is near the top end of a channel, and there is a long way for it to fall below.


Soooooooooooo, I did not feel bad under the circumstances to demo a trade Thursday night.  The only question would be what is the weapon of choice.  I chose the double inverse ETF called TBT.


This is not a slam dunk near term.  Like I said, I may have gotten in early.  If so, I am only risking $1.00 on the trade.  My stop is in at $47.50 so my risk is managed.  If that level fails, I intend to re-establish the position when the price hits the S1 Trend line.

No comments: