Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Re-Shorted Today

The stock market has rallied over 5% in a weeks time, and the S&P 500 is pushed up against its 50 dma.  Prices have pushed up near extremes that I feel comfortable taking short positions into again.  I am changing strategy this time to only manage a couple positions, since I am having to trade the swings now to get back into the game.  I am still nearly in last place.

I noticed that the Russell 2000 had rallied nearly 50% the last 12 months compared to the S&P 500 which had rallied 38%.  The $RUT was pushing against resistance which made a compelling short.  I used the 3X inverse ETF TZA.


I also believe China is not out of the woods.  It was also at an actionable area here as well.  I shorted it with the ultra inverse ETF FXP.


I am managing the trades with contingent stops on the S&P.  This is not automated, but a mental stop should the $SPX move into the 120 area.  Realistically, I do not see any more than 10 points of upside here.  I have set alarms to warn me.







No comments: